|Brunswick House First Nation is a growing community that is being led by community members who are working hard to build on past successes and develop potential future natural resource opportunities. The First Nation has overcome many challenges in its past to arrive at its present situation as a successful First Nation.
The community is located 10 kilometers east of the town of Chapleau on Highway 101.
Brunswick House FN was established as a community through the Treaty #9 document which was signed by government representatives and the first recognised First Nation leaders in 1905 and 1906. In late July 1906, treaty commissioners met with the First Nation people who lived in the area of the Hudson’s Bay Company post called New Brunswick House on the northern end of Missinaibi Lake.
In 1925, the Chapleau Game Preserve was established as a 7,000 square kilometer area for the protection of wildlife. The new game preserve surrounded Missinaibi Lake where the community of New Brunswick House had been allocated. When the preserve was created hunters and trappers including First Nation people who followed a traditional lifestyle were no longer allowed in the area. This meant the relocation of the people of New Brunswick House to a new land base outside the game preserve.
For a 22 year period after the relocation the Brunswick House band had no land base and community lands were changed three times. The first move took place near Kapuskasing which provided about 50 acres of land. This move was not successful when a local pulp mill operation declared it had the rights to the land area. The community was moved again with the promise of finding another land base. The second move was agreed to take place on to what was known then as Loon Lake near the town of Chapleau and is now referred to as Borden Lake. This move was contested and community lands were moved again.
In 1947, a 36 square mile land base was finally provided for Brunswick House First Nation at Mount Batten township. This land base was mostly swamp land and was the traditional trapping ground of then leader of Brunswick House FN, Chief Joe Davis.
In 1970, a one square mile area of the land base was traded for an equal portion 10 kilometers east of the town of Chapleau on Highway 101. The final move to the community’s present location was made due to health reasons and to gain better access for members to essential health and education services.
First Nation Officials
First Nation Officials from the INAC website
|Title||Surname||Given Name||Appointment Date||Expiry Date|
|Geographic Zone:||Code 2: The First Nation is located between 50 and 350 Km from the nearest service centre to which it has year-round road access.|
|Environmental Index:||Code B: Geographic location between 45 and 50 degrees latitude.|
|Most Populated Site:||Duck Lake No. 76B|